Sunday 14 March 2010

Famous names in radio broadcasting

Recently on board MV Victoria...
I met Fred Fidelis...
known to listeners as "Fredwaa", the famous radio presenter at Mwanza's Radio Free Africa. We traveled on the ship, commissioned in 1957, on the overnight voyage from Bukoba to Mwanza.

Also on board was Peter Omari...
Programs Manager at Mwanza's Kiss FM. Fredwaa is also the Programs Manager at Radio Free Africa. Fredwaa also regularly anchors a special end-of-the year program on BBC's Swahili Service reviewing the year's music hits.

For the past five years, "Fredwaa" he has won the best announcer award for the Lake Zone at the Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards.

He told me he keenly monitored my Kilimanjaro Climb last year and is interested to join me during this year's climb. He also informed me he is a cousin to Gerald Hando who climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with me last year. Gerald has confirmed he will join me on this year's climb for the second consecutive year. I am looking forward to seeing the two cousins going head-to-head, representing two of Tanzania's leading FM stations

No comments:

Post a Comment