Saturday 17 September 2011

Jim Becket, Jaffar Amin, and Andrea Wobmann to climb Kilimanjaro next week

I have been on the road (figure of speech) since yesterday on my way to Moshi for the 4th annual Mwalimu Nyerere/Mt. Kilimanjaro Charity Climb. I intended to travel directly from Butiama to Moshi through the Serengeti, but travel through that World Heritage site remains most unpredictable for me. I have ended up in Mwanza and plan to fly to the Kilimanjaro International Airport tomorrow.

There might be less of charity this year because the groundwork for the preparations for the fund raising drive has been inadequate. Before departure towards the summit, scheduled for the 20th September 2011 I will decide whether it will be possible to launch an effective funding appeal or postpone this appeal until the next climb.

The interesting aspect of this year's climb is the decision by a renowned American film director, Jim Becket, to shoot a documentary film during the climb. Jaffar Amin is also joining me to climb again Kilimanjaro this year following our plans during last year's climb to raise more funds for charitable causes.

Jim has decided that the documentary will cover a range of subjects, including the environment and how it affects Lake Victoria and Mount Kilimanjaro. Since Jaffar will also join the climb, Jim wants to explore the past historical relations between Tanzania and Uganda and how these have changed, focusing on what Jaffar and I have done.

Swiss national Andrea Wobmann who has worked as a volunteer in Mwanza is also joining this climb.

1 comment: