Thursday 31 July 2014

How do you summon willpower to begin training?

As my next Kilimanjaro climb approaches (September 2014) I am confronting, yet again, the dilemma of breaking weeks of inertia and resuming my training schedule.

I can authoritatively say that I have perfected a method of effortlessly reaching the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro without any training. Here's how: you trek as slowly as humanely possible and, in the process, consume so little energy every day that each time you wake up in the morning you have just about enough energy to take you to the next camp. And so on and so forth until you reach ths summit. However, I do not recommend this method to any novice climber; it takes a lot of experience to accomplish. Experience at doing nothing.

And yet for all that experience I still have not found an easy method of overcoming the inertia to train for the climb although I believe I may be just about to obtain a solution. I call it jumping into the deep end. If you jump into the deep end of a swimming pool you have to swim.

It works like this. You place yourself in a sitiuation where the only way out of it is to train. Three months after I cycled with Ross Methven from Butiama to Dodoma, I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro for the 8th time in September 2013, experiencing one of the easier climbs since I began in 2008. I was in relatively good shape.
Packed to go.
My jumping into the deep end involves traveling as far as time permits away from my base in Butiama and then cycling back. So, I hop on my bicycle from Mwanza tomorrow, cross to Ukerewe Island where I will spend two days of cycling and sight seeing and also to update itineraries for my cultural tourism activities, and then I head east to Bunda and catch the main highway to Musoma and return to Butiama, preferably in better shape.

How do you overcome the inertia to train?

No comments:

Post a Comment