Tuesday 30 July 2013

Riding with Ross Methven: day 1

Ross Methven is riding a bicycle from Edinburgh, Scotland, to Cape Town, South Africa. He is currently cycling through Tanzania and I am accompanying him on part of the Tanzanian leg. My Mt. Kilimanjaro guide, Yahoo, says cycling is one of the best training options for climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.
*******************************************
Monday, 29 July 2013
In the last post I mentioned that I am tempted to accompany Ross Methven on part of his epic Edinburgh to Cape Town bicycle journey that began in Edinburgh in January 2013. Well, I caved in to the temptation. I will not cycle all the way to Cape Town, but I will keep up with him for as long as possible.

As I mentioned in the last post, this cycling trip is excellent preparation for my upcoming Mt. Kilimanjaro climb from 23 to 30 September 2013.
***********************************
If you want to donate to Ross' cause please follow this link:
***********************************
As I write this post we have already covered a little more than 40 kilomtres from Butiama to Bunda and will be heading to Kisorya, then take a ferry across to Ukerewe Island.
Ross, along the way to Bunda.
There is a long gentle descent from Butiama towards the main highway to Mwanza, 11 kilometres away, which is extremely misleading. I found that months of inactivity have affected my ability to ride effortlessly uphill. As a result, I must have walked as much as cycled on today's section from Butiama to Mwanza.
At the top of a long gentle ascent. 
The highlight of the day occurred when we stopped at a village along the way and Ross went away to buy bottled water as I watched over Eleanor and Mugendi, our bicycles. A curious crowd had gathered to observe us and a woman, gesturing towards me, said: "Huyu atakuwa bodigadi na mkalimani." [He must be the bodyguard and interpreter.] I thought that was a huge compliment as it meant I must appear to be relatively fit.

Next post: Heading to Kisorya

Related posts:
http://www.rossmethvensbigbikeride.co.uk/
http://blogkili.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-solution-to-challenge-of-training-for.html
http://blogkili.blogspot.com/2013/08/riding-with-ross-methven-day-2.html

1 comment:

  1. Wow Madaraka, cycle for peace, understanding and unity....make a statement. I wish you all the luck and I know you will cycle all the way. I hope the media catches this on as you. Cycle for the symbol of putting the flame on top of mt kilimanjaro as it stands free..god. Speed

    ReplyDelete