Monday 5 August 2013

Riding with Ross Methven: day 5

Ross Methven is riding a bicycle from Edinburgh, Scotland, to Cape Town, South Africa. He is currently cycling through Tanzania and I am accompanying him on part of the Tanzanian leg. My Mt. Kilimanjaro guide, Yahoo, says cycling is one of the best training options for climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.
*************************************************
Friday, 2 August 2013
It is a day off in Mwanza today, dedicated to putting my bicycle in order while Ross spent the early part of the day posting the latest news on his Edinburgh to Cape Town cycling trip to his blog.

At breakfast I told Ross that I would have to ride with him only up to 10th August because I have a crucial meeting to attend in Dar es Salaam.
***********************************
If you want to donate to Ross' cause please follow this link:
***********************************
We went through planning the route and estimated that, with 55 kilometres per day, we would reach somewhere near Singida in central Tanzania. I would then travel to Dar.

I heard what I thought was a most appropriate comment on a National Geographic television programme where an outdoor adventure enthusiast who was traversing the treacherous uninhabited parts of Alaska said he was doing it because, "it is there. If you have to ask that question then you certainly would not understand my answer."

That response certainly triggered a familiar tone inside me as I geared up to leave Mwanza tomorrow for my day's dose of 55 kilometres of cycling.

Next: A warm welcome at Misungwi.

No comments:

Post a Comment