Thursday 15 August 2013

Riding with Ross Methven:day 7

Ross Methven is riding a bicycle from Edinburgh, Scotland, to Cape Town, South Africa. He is currently cycling through Tanzania and I am accompanying him on part of the Tanzanian leg. My Mt. Kilimanjaro guide, Yahoo, says cycling is one of the best training options for climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.
*************************************************
Sunday, 4 August 2013
Early in the morning we rode against a long climb and a head wind. The headwind lasted for the entire day's ride. It was difficult but not yet as difficult as climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. I am confident that I am building up my endurance - and I can feel the change taking effect.
***********************************
If you want to donate to Ross' cause please follow this link:
***********************************
I came across the same traffic police officer who I thought had given a speeding ticket to Ross yesterday. At the same place I adjusted the angle of my seat and I experienced a tremendous relief.
At mid morning, Shinyanga was still a day's ride away.
 I still lag far behind Ross but I get off the bicycle less to walk when confronted by ascents. Lagging behind as I do, I found Ross seated along one of the settlements and having already ordered and finished his lunch. He said, "Sorry, I was very hungry." His highlight of the day was that he had managed to order his lunch in Swahili: Wali na mchuzi. He meant to order rice and beef stew, although what he actually said missed the "beef." But miraculously, he was served rice with beef stew.
Ross, resisting a siesta, after completing his lunch of rice with beef stew.
We slept at Hungumalwa, in Kwimba District at New Nkondo Guest House.

Next: The longest distance yet

Related posts:

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your postings. I did not know there are speed limits on bicycles. Only in Tanzania, I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no speed limits on bicycles in Tanzania. The problem with writing is that, sometimes, the humour does not get through to the reader.

      Delete