Sunday 9 November 2014

Vitali Maembe joins the CDEA Kilimanjaro climb 2014 (post 4 of 10)

On my latest Mt. Kilimanjaro climb I trekked on the Machame route for the first time. I was accompanied by musician/activist Vitali Maembe. 

Here’s the fourth post of my blog log of the climb 

Saturday 6th September 2014
I ran some errands in Moshi town in the morning and spent most of the day online and responding to emails. After a six-day hike I normally open my inbox to find hundreds of emails to clear. Keeping up with emails during the climb is possible but is a distraction from the climbing experience. Climbing offers me the only time when I can switch off from my daily work routine and to concentrate on relaxation of the mind.

For the first time I can say that the pre-climb briefing did not meet my expectations. The guides showed up late and when they did I was not informed. They contacted Vitali alone and I was unable to offer some pointers that I could provide from my previous experience with first-time climbers.
A pre-climb check during the Mwalimu Nyerere/Mt. Kilimanjaro Charity Climb 2009 with Gerald Hando of Clouds FM, centre, and Notburga Maskini, right. Left is Moutain Guide, Pius William, known also as Yahoo.
 The pre-climb briefing is extremely important because the guides provide crucial advice and check each climber’s gear to ensure that all necessary items are present. Over the years I have helped to remind guides who have overlooked noticing crucial items that have been missed by climbers on my groups.

Next: We begin the trek to the summit

Related post:
http://blogkili.blogspot.com/2014/11/vitali-maembe-joins-cdea-kilimanjaro.html
http://blogkili.blogspot.com/2014/11/vitali-maembe-joins-cdea-kilimanjaro_20.html

No comments:

Post a Comment